Sunday, March 15, 2009

Truth, part 1 -- when I'll hide it

Part 1 of series on truth

Obviously, Pompotous is not my real name. I use it in this blog as a guard against casual public discovery because my wife is a CEO who is in the public spotlight and must deal with the sort of people who might attempt to damage or hinder her work in a fit of pique over some of the positions that I espouse, particularly atheism.

The depth of my love for my wife is revealed by the fact that I've gone along with this kaka suggestion. Almost 30 years ago, as a young college student, I formed a group called "Students Against Senseless Stupidity," and served as its President and its only "open" member (meaning I was the only one whose real name was publically associated with the endeavor, which consisted of putting broadsides up around campus denouncing current stupidities). As an aside, I'm proud to say that the organization lasted for well over a decade before falling defunct, always with at least one openly acknowledged member.

So strong emotion can cause me to "hide" the truth.

Utilitarian considerations can also cause me to withhold information. When I first started at the Fortune 500 company I worked at for almost a decade, one of the leading lights of the organization told me that the free dissemination of information between departments within the company was a BAD idea. Much to my chagrin, he was correct, and I apologized to him. You see, dispersal of information is the best idea in a perfect world, but a large company is not a perfect world, and when you give information to idiots the resulting problems caused by the idiots outweigh the additional contributions from the non-idiots receiving the information.

So I'm willing to "hide" the truth for practical considerations, at least those which are also self-interest considerations (dealing with incompetents is physically, mentally and psychologically debilitating).

Yet a passion for knowing the truth is one of my principle traits (and my "telling the truth" trait is much stronger than that possessed by most other people, if my personal and professional life is any indication).

2 comments:

vjack said...

Unfortunately, Mississippi is one of those places where it remains necessary for many of us to conceal our atheism for similar reasons. I do it mostly out of the fear that it would harm my ability to maintain productive working relationships with co-workers. It really is a shame that such would be a consideration in this day and age, especially when nobody sees anything wrong with throwing Jesus at others.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure even Jesus had his moments...