Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Words versus violence

I've never been a violent man. As a little Pompotini there were a few acts of discreet violence, but always in defense of someone else. I never had to physically protect myself because I always found that threats and intimidation were sufficient to forestall actual violence. (Which causes me to question some of the extremes that school systems these days go to in order to stop threats of violence. But I digress.

After growing from a Pompotini into a Pompotous, I've engaged in violence twice: once in taking a knife away from a rather rude man trying to rob it by pointing at my throat, once in response to a muscle-bound teenager who thought to beat the crap out of me for working at a place he'd been fired from. In both cases my assailants fled the scene in distress, and I was not actually hurt, but the feelings engendered by the violence, the fear, the breakdown of coherent consciousness when staring at a butcher knife in the hands of someone screaming at me, those impressions remain with me.

I could have killed them rather than driven them away with few hurts to anything other than their pride -- but I am not a violent man, although I capable of using it in its minimum forms when necessary. Had I not thought myself capable of inflicting harm under certain circumstances I would never have joined the armed forces of the US in my youth.

I have been the target of words and the target of blows and knife thrusts, and it still amazes me that there are people who equate words with violence. In graduate school I ran across a woman who, when I asked her if she would rather be called a "bitch" or shot in the face with a .45 caliber pistol, replied, "I don't know, words hurt for so long." This linking of words with violence has a following of sorts in the business world as well, particularly with sexual harassment consultants. In the latter case this is, perhaps, a case of frantically reaching for an argument that will be explain the seriousness of sexual harassment to the kind of microcephalic morons who might commit it, but I think not.

Take, for example, section 295A of the Indian Penal Code: Whoever, with deliberate and malicious intention of outraging the religious feelings of any class of citizens of India, by words, either spoken or written, or by signs or by visible representations or otherwise, insults or attempts to insult the religion or the religious beliefs of that class, shall be punished with imprisonment of either description for a term which may extend to three years, or with fine, or with both.

Pardon me, but the politicians that passed this, and the theists who utilize it, are lame fuckwits. 295a IPC assumes that words are dangerous. There are very, very few cases where I'll agree that words are dangerous, and they all involve violence in some form or another. Saying that you are a fuckwit with a ridiculous imaginary friend -- does that break any of your bones? Ignite your possessions and turn them to ash? In any way resemble stereo wire connected to your alternated, twisted and run into your gas tank?

No. There is a qualitative difference between words and violence. Words directly leading to real harm -- such as Manson telling his followers to kill someone, or shouting "Fire" in a crowded theater, thereby being sure to cause a few injuries in the attempts to exit the building, are few and far between, and certainly don't include things like making fun of some made-up characters in a book.

It is not words that are dangerous, it is power: the power to get someone to murder for you, the power to manipulate people into acts of violence upon themselves, the power to terrify a subordinate into putting up with sexual advances. You have little choice in how your body will deal with a bullet to the head, your mind has much choice in how to deal with someone calling you a name. When power and circumstances take away your choice, that is when speech is dangerous and calls for censure.

So for all those religionists out there who cry out at the horrors of saying, "Hey, you're an irrational idiot about this whole religion thing, aren't you?" I say, "Shove it." If a Christian burns down your Christian church (which is almost certainly the most likely church burning in the US), then you are the victim of violence and should be entitled to justice. If a teenager in a car shouts, "There is no God, chill the fuck out!" as he drives past your church, you have no cause for complaint.


,

No comments: